White chocolate mint mousse and what I didn’t get for Valentine’s day

February 15, 2011

White chocolate mint mousse

No flowers, no chocolates, no card, no swanky meal out, no champagne.  Not on February 14th anyway.  KP is an easy-going chap with a very sunny disposition but there are two things that make him dig his heels in.  Valentine’s day is the first.  Not a hearts and flowers type of man in the first place, he rebels against being forced to make a grand gesture on an appointed day (by marketing people in his opinion) and I don’t feel at all hard done by on this point.  I adore surprises and I’d rather go out on the day of our choice when prices in restaurants are not inflated and love to receive a gift when I’m least expecting it.

His second turn-off is tiny food.  If we are invited to a party he will always quiz me about what I think the food will be like.  He hates ‘nibbles’ and canapés; hearty food is his choice and he perks up if he spots a shawarma stand or a curry when we arrive somewhere (especially where he’d been expecting vol-au-vents or spring rolls all night).  Beautiful dainty morsels on spoons or on cocktail sticks leave him cold.

The only dish that he really gets excited about in a small format are these white chocolate mint mousses.  They are my stand-by dessert and I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t scrape the glass and lick the spoon.  I always make spare because they are so tempting just one more tiny taste is called for.

So what did I get on Valentine’s day? A happy KP and lots of love and appreciation – we went on a nice walk together with the dogs.  The mousse is all gone.

White chocolate mint mousse

This recipe is hardly adapted at all from Nigella Lawson’s Express, except for maybe a drop or two more of peppermint essence.  It’s readily available on the internet on the BBC food site and you can print off a copy there.

White chocolate and mint mousse

Ingredients

250g/9oz white chocolate, broken into small pieces
250ml/9fl oz double cream
1 free-range egg white
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
6 fresh mint leaves to decorate

1. Put the white chocolate into a heatproof bowl and sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water until the chocolate melts, stirring gently with a spatula every now and then. When it’s melted, stand the bowl on a cold surface to cool down a little.  If you try melting it in the microwave be extremely careful – it can seize in an instant!
  2. In another bowl whip the cream, egg white and peppermint essence together (I wouldn’t do this by hand). You want a softly peaking, rather than stiff mixture.
  3. Add a large dollop of cream to the slightly cooled chocolate and mix together to loosen. Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the cream.
  4. Divide the mixture among six small glasses with a capacity of about 60ml. My shot glasses are smaller than this and I get about 9 mousses in all.
  5. Chill the mousses in the fridge or give them a fast icy zap by putting them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Once chilled, if using mint leaves, decorate each top with a leaf just before serving.

I’m sending this into the Monthly Mingle – the brainchild of Meeta from What’s for lunch, Honey? and hosted by Paulchen’s food blog this month.  Astrid’s theme was Small bites – soul food for your loved ones….well, you can imagine how flummoxed that got me until I remembered these!  Do you revel in small morsels or is your idea of food fuelled romance more substantial?

1. February 15, 2011 6:43 am

Another great post Sally and I’m totally with your husband on the Valentine’s Day marketing scam – tacky tacky tacky…
    My husband is equally dismissive about ‘three peas artistically arranged on a plate’ kinds of food and far prefers ‘real’ food.
    Chocolate mousse sounds delicious – would recommend Green & Black’s white chocolate – that’s the only one I can find with real vanilla in it.
    Hope to give it a go this weekend.
    Thanks for always inspiring.
    T.

• February 15, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks Tara. I’m a big fan of that Green and Black’s white chocolate with the lovely flecks of vanilla pod…mmmm. I used Lindt here which is also excellent. When you’ve made this once I promise you it won’t be the last.

2. February 15, 2011 7:29 am

i completely and whole heartedly agree… the neighborhood mums were telling me one red rose y’day cost about 55 dhm!!!!!! and one bunch 550 dhm and she saw one man buying two bunches!! there are so many days and ways to express love.

I have a serious question – i have never made anything with raw eggs, white part yellow part – cos i fear that it’ll be eggy… so honestly can u taste the egg? also is it, generally speaking, safe to eat raw egg?

the recipe looks deadly, would have loved to taste, why dont you send it to – forever nigella event as well – http://blog.maisoncupcake.com/forevernigella-2/

3. February 15, 2011 7:35 am

will be trying this out on friends this weekend…..after a hearty main course haha (without a heart to be seen….we are a bunch of hungry ‘singles’). Thanks for sharing Sally x

4. February 15, 2011 7:37 am

ok i am re-commenting since the earlier comment vanished i think… i said i agree on valentine’s day opinion, and just wondering abt the raw egg in the mousse… does it taste eggy? is it safe to consume raw eggs, would love to know and why dont you send this to the forever nigella event? http://blog.maisoncupcake.com/forevernigella-2/

• February 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Oh Rajani – I don’t know why but you ended up as spam! Probably because of the link. Raw egg doesn’t taste at all but the safety of consuming raw eggs is down to personal opinion. I buy free-range organic – no guarantee of total safety but I’m happy to use them. Salmonella is in many eggs and raw egg should not be eaten by vulnerable people or pregnant ladies. I used raw egg in my children’s chocolate mousse I made recently – another Nigella recipe which also winged it’s way to Maison Cupcake. The chocolate round-up should be amazing!

5. February 15, 2011 9:02 am

We’re not big celebrators of Valentine’s either. I’m loving that mousse Sally- no egg or gelatin! Perfect!!!

6. February 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Ah! I have always said that Valentine’s is enforced nonsense. Then this year I got a lovely silver necklace and a really thoughtfully written card. Suddenly I think Valentine’s is a great idea ;o)
    The mousses look cute, or should it ‘the mice looks nice?’

• February 15, 2011 4:54 pm

You have no idea how many times I nearly wrote mouse! A whole different experience. Thoughtful cards are the best.

7. February 15, 2011 4:49 pm

I completely share your husband’s opinion on Valentine day. We do not celebrate it although we had a very special lunch – home made white brine cheese (our first success, after 5 failured attempts in making it) with a glass of pinot noir.
    The background of the last photo – is this your garden? It’s lovely!

• February 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Silvia – Your lunch sounds special – especially after all that shared effort. Yes my garden – although we have sunny days all year round my house faces North/South and days are short so I often have to nip outside to take pictures!

8. February 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey Sally just reread your post and I see that small egg white in there!!!

• February 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Just a teeny tiny one! You could leave it out but it wouldn’t be a mousse – more of a chocolate mint cream – still rather scrummy.

9. February 16, 2011 11:44 am

mm, great pic.
    Likewise! We rather stay away from crowded lovers, and overpriced restaurants… Don’t we love our snuggly night-ins ;)

I managed to cook up the most delicious fried rice topped with Spring Onions Omelette… Simply burpy!

10. February 17, 2011 12:41 am

WOWIE! Look at those photos, gorgeous! How did you get that heart in??

(even though I love white chocolate, I have a feeling I’d like to try this with either a combo of milk & dark chocolate, or something like a nutty or lemony base to the mousse if I were going with white chocolate. I guess that’s what the mint does, cuts through the white chocolate sweetness a bit?)

• February 17, 2011 1:12 am

I’m going to make this for you Arva. I promise I have never met anyone who didn’t adore it. I really like lemon mousse but that’s a whole different story. PS Do I share the secret of the heart? Picnik I confess!

11. February 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Hey Sally…I think your husband is my husband’s brother. In Manhattan usually th e street vendors sell a dozen beautiful roses for $10. On Valentine’s they are $30. It just makes my husband crazy. He also likes a hearty meals and we usually do special nights out very often. The white chocolate mousse is to die for and I cannot wait to try it.

I am wondering, If I am following your blog, why is it that I do not get a notice by e-mail when you post. Can you help me there.

• February 18, 2011 12:32 am

I can’t see you on the subscibers list Norma – did you put your e-mail in the box? I’m laughing that my husband has a sole mate!

12. February 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Sally- these are just beautiful! Love the last shot outside at the table…

• February 18, 2011 12:33 am

Thank you so much – I was in a rush so appreciate the nice feedback!

13. February 18, 2011 3:01 am

Hi Sally!
    The mousse looks so yummy! I adore mousses and panna cotta’s and am adding this to my collection :)
    Did you make any macarons? Would love to hear your experience! Thanks for stopping by mine :)

14. February 18, 2011 10:13 am

Sally, I think I’d like your husband. :) I’m not a finicky food person either – if I’m going to eat out, please take me to a Malaysian eatery, or a place that serves large Moroccan tagines, or big Greek platters of food. What I don’t enjoy is incredibly expensive, teeny tiny bite sized haute cuisine. And my husband would agree with yours – he insists he doesn’t have to celebrate holidays instituted to sell greeting cards. Such a cynic. :)

Having said all that, your white chocolate mousse looks beeeyootiful, and I would happily eat it, although I suspect I wouldn’t be satisfied with just one! :)

15. February 20, 2011 9:04 am

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I HAVE to try this! This looks SO good and I feel like making these right now! But maybe I’ll wait :-)
    Thanks for sharing the recipe, I’m excited! BOOKMARKED!

16. Sherri permalink
    February 23, 2011 8:02 am

Dear Sally,

This is a marvelous recipe, very tasty, light and easy to prepare…

I recently looked for Peppermint Extract at Carrefour, Lulu’s or Abella. Where do you find peppermint extract or peppermint essence in the UAE?

Sherri

• February 23, 2011 9:24 am

Dear Sherri, I found my peppermint essence in Choitram. I recently bought some in the Umm Suqeim branch which is on offer as nearly out of code. The only issue is that the intensity of the flavour may diminish a bit but otherwise I would not worry if it was past its expiry date (so I bought some for me and a friend!). If you can find fresh peppermint leaves you can make your own peppermint extract too (although I must point out that it involves using vodka). Good luck and let me know if you find it and try the recipe.

17. April 4, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Sally,
    I found your blog via the Monthly Mingle, and so glad I did! I can just taste this creamy refreshing mint mousse. Nearly a palate cleanser after a rich meal — then you get hit by the rich white chocolate. Oh-My! What a great recipe to have in your stash. Your Valentine’s celebration sounds just right, your husband is right on, love is not to be relegated to a single commercially designated day. Wonderful!

18. Emily permalink
    January 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Just wondered how long this might keep in the fridge?

• January 15, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Emily, the light fluffiness of the mousse will start to deteriorate if kept too long – although the flavours will stay. I would make the day before you are serving maximum. Hope this helps.

Trackbacks

1. Tweets that mention White chocolate mint mousse and what I didn’t get for Valentine’s day « My Custard Pie -- Topsy.com
  2. Lemon mousse and the mother tongue « My Custard Pie

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 9,566 other followers