What to read while eating your pancakes

February 17, 2015

Pancake day - mycustardpie.comHappy Shrove Tuesday. This day always makes me smile as it brings back happy memories. My Mum standing at the stove making pancake after pancake – the thin, crepe type not the fluffy American style ones we’ve come to know of late. My sister and I would sit there expectantly eating each one in turn, rolling up the lacy circles, dousing with lemon juice and a sprinkle of crunchy granulated sugar. “Surely you don’t want more?” she’d say in amazement as we got to the end of the first batch of batter, heroically whipping up another jugful and entertaining us with her tossing-the-pancake skills. It was even better when the day coincided with my birthday. A double dose of pleasure in the midst of dark February winter days…

I have to remind myself of this as I sit here at my desk, looking out of the window, the sunlight streaming in, tiny sun birds eating seeds, a hoopoe on the lawn and the palm tree fronds waving gently. Do I make normal pancakes tonight just for KP and me and do I attempt this pancake for veggie teen (who is still on a vegan month)? Perhaps I’ll just stick with nostalgia today make a batch for myself today.

Another thing putting a big grin on my face is the latest issue of Food e Mag.

Food E Mag DxbIt’s a beautiful online food and travel magazine and this is my favourite issue to date. What makes it unique are the authors – it’s founded and written by bloggers within the region (Gulf states and Middle East). Initially brought to life by Sarah and Ishita, the latter is now Editor in chief, with Debbie as Travel and Features editor; it’s a really good-looking title.

This month there are pancakes, of course, courtesy of Gbemi who blogs as Dubai Fit Foodie. I spent a couple of hours with Noreen earlier this year, and she showed elder teen and me how to create a stunning table from bits and pieces anyone can find. Go straight to page 10 to see why we were so inspired.

Prachi‘s dedication to getting children interested in good food and cooking from scratch to set them up for a healthy life has reached the ears of Jamie Oliver. Totally thrilled that she’s just been appointed as a Food Revolution Ambassador. This work is vital in the U.A.E where obesity and diabetes are epidemic (more on page 14).

Until I met Riath – the honey man – from Balqees, I thought all honey was natural. Since then the scales have fallen from eyes and I know how difficult it is to find truly unadulterated, pure honey and only buy Balqees (page 18).

If you’ve ever wondered why I’ve been on seven wonderful Frying Pan Food Adventures, read Radhina‘s article about them. Warning – the pictures alone will make you want to book one immediately.Β  If you are traveling further afield there is a guide to food tours in Mumbai, Bengalaru, Seville and Prague.

People often ask me where to eat out and I usually point them in the direction of The Hedonista. I thought I knew all the healthy eating places in this city until I read her really comprehensive article (on page 40).

This is just a taste of what’s inside. It’s free and simple to navigate on a tablet (as well as on mobile and laptop). Oh yes – you may have noticed the badge in my side bar. As Food Sourcing Contributor, this month I’ve had a look at ‘superfoods’ and where to find them (on page 8).

Put the kettle on and find somewhere comfortable to curl up with a cup of tea and spend some time getting lost in the delicious pages of Food E Mag. That’s what I’m going to do right now. A few Maltesers may also sneak into my mouth, left over from last night’s supper with friends in the garden. Must share my first experience with cooking a Texas brisket on the barbecue soon – seriously good.

Making pancakes is very simple – this is pretty much how my Mum made them:

Pancakes (or crepes)

• Servings: 4-6 pancakes
  • Difficulty: easy

Ingredients

• 125g plain flour
  • 1 egg, free range
  • 300ml milk
  • vegetable oil for frying

Method

1. Put the flour into a medium-sized bowl and make a well in the centre.
  2. Crack the egg into the well and whisk it, slowly drawing in flour from the sides to make a thick paste.
  3. Start to add the milk, little by little, drawing in more flour until you have a thick batter. Whisk all the lumps out (this is easier to do with a thick batter than a thin one).
  4. Whisk in the remaining milk until your batter is the consistency of single cream. If possible leave the batter to rest for an hour.
  5. Heat a very small amount of vegetable oil in a frying pan until so hot that a haze appears. Tip the pan so that it is just coated with droplets of oil. Pour in a ladleful of batter and immediately swirl the pan in a circular movement so there is a thin layer all over.
  6. When the edges are set, gently loosen them from the sides with a knife. Bubbles will start to appear, give the pan a shake, forwards and backwards. If the pancake does not move in the pan loosen it underneath with a knife or spatula. Flip the pancake over with a spatula or by tossing it. Cook for a minute or less (small light brown freckles is what you are after). Slide onto a plate and serve with lemon juice and sugar*. The first pancake is always a bit oddly shaped – they get better.

*It has to be fresh lemon juice and sugar. Keep your maple syrup, chocolate spread and other aberrations sweet toppings for the thick, fluffy kind of pancakes. The only exception is if you are making them as crΓͺpes Suzette!

Pancake day - mycustardpie.comAre you getting out your pancake pan today? What do you think of Food E Mag?

1. February 17, 2015 5:13 pm

I like my sweet pancakes with lemon and sugar too. That’s how we always had them as kids. Though I’m planning some savoury ones tonight.

• February 18, 2015 9:51 am

I really like savoury pancakes too – I don’t think I’ve EVER made them.

2. February 17, 2015 5:26 pm

I have to agree with you, it has to be lemon juice and sugar, nothing else will suffice. Happy Shrove Tuesday to you all πŸ™‚

• February 18, 2015 9:51 am

As a lemon addict the juice to sugar ratio is lip burningly strong for me πŸ™‚

3. February 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Love the thin kind, and yours look gorgeous! I like mine with cinnamon sugar and a little fresh cream. What I grew up on! πŸ™‚

• February 18, 2015 9:52 am

That’s so interesting – I would never have even thought of that combination.

4. February 17, 2015 7:02 pm

I am afraid I grew up with those fluffy American pancakes (or just plain old ‘pancakes’ as I would call them!) doused in maple syrup. Now I Iike them with a home-made compote, but just a little. Weird fact: Americans almost always add slab of butter too (and on their porridge/oatmeal – ugh). Enjoy your taste of nostalgia. Maybe a whole batch to yourself this time??

• February 18, 2015 9:55 am

I do like some real maple syrup on pancakes, tempered with lime or lemon juice… but on Shrove Tuesday it has to be the classic combo for me. The homemade compote sounds lovely… The fluffy kind are nice but I guess it’s just what you are used to. A knob of butter sounds all wrong…. however I can’t imagine crumpets without it so it’s not a huge leap!!

5. February 17, 2015 7:05 pm

I love pancakes, especially when served with light brown sugar and lemon juice, plus a little ground cinnamon (my favorite way of eating them)…

Happy Shrove Tuesday!

Cheers,

Rosa

• February 18, 2015 9:56 am

This cinnamon twist is new to me… and my veggie daughter would love it (when she’s off her vegan phase!)

6. February 17, 2015 8:06 pm

I guess I am a traditionalist American. Give me some great real maple syrup. None of the so-called pancake syrup. The lemon and sugar is intriguing however.

• February 18, 2015 9:56 am

That pancake syrup is horrid but real maple syrup so lovely.

7. Heidi Kurth permalink
    February 17, 2015 8:37 pm

I love my thin crepe pancakes with apricot jam rolled up inside. It reminds me of my time living in Austria with homemade chunky apricot jam sitting in jars on the shelves in the cellar, one brought up for filling pancakes or piling on freshly made bread. But with an American husband we often go for fluffy pancakes with maple syrup. Both are good πŸ™‚

• February 18, 2015 9:58 am

Woah – into a whole new territory here Heidi. Jam on pancakes…. However, apricot, especially homemade, has enough tanginess so I can see how it would work. Might have to add a spritz of citrus for my tastes though!

8. February 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Happy Shrove Tuesday! I will come back and read the recipe later on (pancakes vs bread… pancakes win for me… it’s the other way round for Big Z!)… but for the time being I am touched beyond words at your rendition of Food e Mag dxb. It is what it is because of you all – such a huge treasure trove of talented bloggers. Proud to belong to such a fraternity.

• February 18, 2015 9:58 am

How about pancakes and bread. I couldn’t choose. πŸ™‚

9. February 17, 2015 11:18 pm

I loved Shrove Tuesday as a child too – and it also occasionally coincided with my birthday. We always had the big fluffy style, made by dad (he was our family’s official pancake maker), and always served with butter and maple syrup (the real stuff). It was always a novelty to have pancakes on a Tuesday, however we ate them often for breakfast on Sundays.

• February 18, 2015 9:59 am

I can’t remember having pancakes on any other day of the year. I suppose that’s why they were so special πŸ™‚

10. February 18, 2015 1:31 am

Lacy thin crepes with fresh lemon juice and crunchy white sugar, ahh the food of my childhood dreams, in fact as far as I’m concerned there is no better way to enjoy pancakes. Off to look at the emag, thanks

• February 18, 2015 9:59 am

We are in total agreement πŸ™‚

11. February 18, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Sal,
    My mother used to make the same thin pancakes for Shrove Tuesday we had them with sugar and lemon. Now that I am living a carb free diet sadly I can only share in others enjoyment from afar. Shame on me for forgetting to make Bry some pancakes. Hopefully when he returns from Sydney πŸ™‚
    Love to all,
    Petra
    x

12. February 18, 2015 10:26 am

What a lovely memory from your childhood. The pancakes sound amazingly good. And this magazine looks beautiful and inspiring. We will be raising our own bee swarms soon and I’m really looking forward to honey I know is pure and healthy. πŸ™‚

13. gourmet.gourmand permalink
    February 18, 2015 10:29 am

I love either lemon and sugar or butter, cinnamon, and sugar

14. February 18, 2015 4:11 pm

I’ll have to check out the magazine..sounds good. I’d forgotten it was pancake day…cheers:)

15. February 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Have you tried yeasted pancakes or sourdough? I made my first sourdough batch recently, but need to try again to get more familiar with them.

16. February 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Going to try out this recipe! Love the memories

17. February 18, 2015 10:15 pm

I have the same childhood memories of my mum churning out pancakes for my brother and I! The magazine looks great πŸ™‚

18. February 19, 2015 11:18 pm

You have awakened a few memories from my school days too. I remember the Doha College and my only English friend who invited me to her place for the first time. I was then treated to exactly the same kind of pancakes. It was simple and so sublime.

19. February 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Just catching up on my blog roll, love crepes with lemon & sugar. I also adore a pinch of cinnamon in there.

….And thanks so much for the shout out xx

20. February 26, 2015 6:55 pm

You’ve stunned me. I’ve never had lemon juice on the pancakes, but it’s quite interesting to be tried.

21. March 4, 2015 2:08 pm

Lovely simple pancakes! Yum yum yum! A cool post too! πŸ™‚

22. March 10, 2015 5:02 pm

I can’t ever get enough of pancakes, I just adore how the house is full of pancake smell after wards. That combo of coffee and pancake smell … We have pancake day on candlemass here in Belgium. And the saying goes that on Candlemass no woman is too poor to make pancakes in her hot pan. I like plain ones, but sneek some buttermilk or yoghurt and wholemeal flour in. Not too much cos my husband can’t notice otherwise he’ll moan, oh it’s special pancakes again πŸ˜€

23. March 19, 2015 2:46 pm

I made your easy pancakes & over them! easy peasy too! πŸ™‚ MMMMM!

24. sylvieamesee permalink
    March 31, 2015 8:35 am

I have pancakes with chocolate (ganache or nutella) or with chestnut puree combined with whipped cream, I’m just awfully greedy!

Trackbacks